WWII History of Dodge Military Vehicles: Not long after Dodge was founded in 1914, it began to produce light trucks. These first models were based on existing passenger cars, but subsequent requirements, called for better chassis and body designs.
Operation Fortitude, was part of a deceptive strategy, called Operation Bodyguard, which took place prior to the invasion of Normandy, France on June 6, 1944. The allies intent, was to deceive the Germans into thinking the real invasion would take place elsewhere, and not at the beaches of Normandy.
The first C 47 Skytrain were procured by the Army Air Force in 1940. By the end of the war, nearly 9400 aircraft had been produced. This new aircraft was multifunctional, in that it was capable of carrying personnel and cargo, towing troops in gliders to war zones, or dropping paratroopers behind enemy lines.
Three months after the initial D-Day landings in France, Major General Norman Cota commanding the 28th Infantry Division, was involved in the Battle of Hurtgen Forest. The plan to attack the dug in German defenses in a heavily forested region, was the brain child of General Omar Bradley.
The Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless handgun, is a .32 ACP caliber, self-loading, semi-automatic pistol. It was designed by the famous John Browning and built by Colt Patent Firearms of Hartford, Connecticut. It was produced from 1903-1945. The pistol was upgraded to the Colt Model 1908, which came in a .380 caliber.
The first group to drop bombs on Europe, known as the Egypt-Libya Campaign, belonged to a small detachment of B-24's, led by Col. Harry A. Halverson. Halverson's group originally had planned to bomb Japan, but because of Doolittle's raid on Tokyo, the Japanese responded by overrunning the bases in China, that were to be used for Halverson's mission.
The Focke Achgelis Fa 330 Sandpiper, was an underpowered rotary-winged aircraft, more commonly known as a gyro glider or auto gyro. It was similar to small helicopter in that relied on lift, created by one or more sets of rotors.
In addition to the gooseberry-a small artificial breakwater, installed during the Normandy invasion was the much larger Mulberry Harbor for bigger ships, that had to anchor off-shore.
The Gooseberry and Mulberry Harbors of Normandy in 1944, were man-made marvels of the time. Omaha beach was to be the major supply location along with invading forces. Utah Beach was to be a smaller supporting location for supplies.
We remember D-Day, but the real story is, how the planners devised and built prefabricated harbors to get men & material to the beaches.